Ilford Methodist Church recently celebrated their 150th anniversary - here is what they had to say:
"Ilford Church recently celebrated 150 years of Methodist presence in Ilford Lane. The current Church dates from 1961, replacing the previous building of 1902 which was bombed in 1940. Prior to that, the first church on the site was erected in 1867.
Saturday evening saw a celebratory event within the Church, which was packed with current and past members, local clergy and friends from the Circuit and Community, including the Mayor of Redbridge.
The music was provided by a choir made up of singers from both Ilford Lane and The Drive Churches, with Andrew Taylor at the organ, and singers from Barking Church. The congregational singing was truly inspirational.
The Revd Ermal Kirby led the service, which included a short history of the Church, the experiences of members of the church who had joined in the 1980’s, and looking ahead to plans for the future. The Mayor, Cllr Gurdial Bhamra, spoke of the importance of places of worship in the area.
The service was followed by a buffet meal in the hall, which provided a great opportunity to chat with friends old and new.
On Sunday, a past minister, Revd Stephen Normanton conducted worship.
Although the service was a celebration of worship, it was fun-filled and jovial as is the trademark of both participating Ministers. Revd Normanton and Mrs Normanton continued to celebrate before returning to Yorkshire. Again, solemnity was mixed with light-heartedness while the congregation was encouraged to remain a beacon in our very diverse community."